Our client is seeking a Maintenance Manager who will oversee 3 Mobile Home Parks within the Lynwood, IL area. They will supervise, coordinate projects and assist staff engaged in maintaining and repairing physical structures, equipment and grounds in order to meet customer expectations and ensure efficient ongoing operations.
General Job Duties – Technical Knowledge / Expertise
Company Standards/Policies: Adhere to maintenance, safety and security standards as well as all company policies and procedures in order to ensure company objectives are met.
Safety Policies and Hazard Compliance: Follow established safety policies and procedures in order to ensure and enforce a safe working environment for everyone on property. Comply with National, State and Local, Health and Safety laws in order to minimize risk and liability. Report all unsafe conditions immediately to your supervisor.
Regulatory Requirements: Comply with Federal, State and Local regulatory requirements to avoid discriminating against customers, vendors and employees to protect the interest of the company.
Trade Knowledge: Participate in educational/training opportunities or certifications in order to update job knowledge.
Other duties as required: Assumes other activities and responsibilities from time to time as directed.
Job Requirements include:
Manage Projects - Capital Expenditure Projects
- Secure and select contractor and sub-contractor bids for upcoming projects including pond restoration, channel re-soiling; hydrant and flood pump installation, water meter installation; road re-sealing and re-surfacing; community office construction/upgrade projects
- Submit bids and project plan for regional and corporate approval
- Coordinate workflow and timely project completion once capital expenditure approved by regional and corporate leadership
- Recommend, select and monitor vendors to insure that expense control occurs and project timelines progress on schedule
- Provide vendor contracts to Community Manager for review and approval
- Provide progress reports regarding vendor projects to Community Manager
- Read meters for water utilities
- Maintain wells where city water not available
- Monitor water usage & sewage usage levels when tenants not independently billed for water usage
Company Standards and Policies
General maintenance of community infrastructure
- Maintain community guidelines by reporting community appearance violations to community manager
- Patch and repair common roads and resident driveways; paint curbs in common areas
- Perform seasonal maintenance in community common areas: plow snow, salt & shovel sidewalks, remove leaves, mow grass, power wash community buildings, spray trees and shrubbery for pest control
- Maintain HVAC systems
- Maintain, clean and paint common areas
- Plant flowers and maintain landscaping
- Maintain street lights and yard lights for each home site
- Wash maintenance equipment (trucks, lawnmowers) on weekly basis (or as need)
- Inspect new homes being moved into community
Conduct four-side home inspections (exterior)
- Conduct seasonal and annual inspections – inspections include checking skirting, tie downs, plumbing crossovers, trash disposal, condition of windows, garage, porch, deck, awnings, awning supports, steps, railings, driveway and landscaping (watering/fertilizing/weeds)
- Provide first reminder (verbal) to resident outlining violations or sub-standard conditions; follow-up with second reminder (written), if necessary
Resell & Rental inspection (Pre Move-In)
- Conduct four-side home inspection (see above)
- Replace kitchen appliances and roofing, if necessary; repair conditions identified in inspection (when vendors not contracted for refurbishment)
- Complete Maintenance Pre Move-In Checklist 2 days prior to move-in
New Move-In Orientation
- Conduct new move-in orientation with new homeowners or renters identifying water shutoffs, break boxes and climate controls
- Instruct new residents in the operations of their appliances, HVAC, garbage disposal and irrigation system (if applicable)
- Instruct residents on what they can and cannot dispose of in toilets and garbage disposal
- Define for the resident what is and is not a maintenance emergency
Rental Home Inspections (occupied rental homes)
- Place inspection notice on door 7 days prior to inspection
- Perform scheduled inspection and complete Maintenance Inspection Form
- Report any serious leaks or damage to Community Manager immediately
- Repair conditions identified and submit information to Community Manager for invoicing if repairs due to resident negligence (when vendors not contracted)
Manufactured home set-up
- Hire vendors to install piers and replace slabs with piers
- Size, reconfigure and grade home site (working knowledge of ground set homes); relocate water and sewer lines when necessary
- Hire vendor to locate home within community
- Use voltage meter
- Change photo cells, ballasts and receptacles
- Splice wires and waterproof systems
- Change circuit breakers
- Heat tape operation
- Cathodic protection
- Possess knowledge of ground fault interruption for water heaters and furnaces
Plumbing Systems, Water Service Lines/ Sewage Line Maintenance and Repair
- Install and repair PVC
- Repair plybytal in irrigation systems
- Sweat copper fittings
- Operate and repair back flow preventers+
- Troubleshoot sewer and water line blockage; perform sewer line clean outs us
- Operate auto feed sewer machine, camera, locater, etc.
- Remove, install and read water meters
- Change valves, faucets, and spigots
- Repair galvanized piping reaching from street to home site; conduct shut in section of home sites to make repairs for water lines or sewage lines
- Perform digs for repairs, if a certified backhoe operator
Small Engine Maintenance and Repair
- Maintain and repair blowers, mowers, chainsaws, hedge trimmers, mulchers and other small engines
- Perform basic maintenance and repair of trucks, golf carts, tractors, ditch witch, plows and salt spreaders
Swimming Pool Maintenance
- Vacuum pool
- Clean and backwash filters, baskets, strainers, etc.; change filter medium
- Re-prime, maintain and change pumps
- Take water samples and administer appropriate water treatment for:
- Repair decking, plaster or tile
- Change pool lights
- Maintain and repair self-latching pool gates
Irrigation System Maintenance
- Program timers
- Change diaphragms in automatic valves
- Perform sprinkler repair and adjustments
Well Maintenance and Water Treatment Plant
- Operate chlorination systems; conduct daily check of chlorine levels
- Deliver “boil order” notices when water outage occurs
- Perform seaweed clean-up as necessary
- Winterize marina and remove docks from water for winter months
Management / Supervisor Skills
Staff Leadership: Assist in planning performance expectations, monitor, and appraise the associate's job results and performance in order to develop, counsel, or discipline staff members. Lead by example.
Manage Performance: Able to regularly assess staff effectiveness and development needs; confront negative behavior to foster acceptance and change; provide honest feedback; recognize poor performance and deal with it.
Team Building: Able to develop and promote a team effort; confront negative attitudes to build commitment and morale; get factions with competing perspectives to learn from one another; integrate efforts and talents of team members.
Leadership: Able to regularly communicate with subordinates to lead to worthwhile objectives; mobilize people to face, define, and solve problems; develop capacity of others to adapt to change; foster a vision of desired outcomes.
Safety: Able to ensure a safe working environment for employees; provide training and enforce safety policies and procedures; follow safety policies and procedures even when under pressure to take shortcuts.
Expense Control: Work with Manager to keep maintenance expenses within budgeted guidelines. Assist Manager with annual budget preparation.
Customer Service Skills
Customer Service: Able to anticipate and respond to customer's needs, concerns, or questions in order to meet or exceed their expectations; help evaluate needs and options; show care and concern to demonstrate customer importance and value.
Customer Relations: Explore opportunities to improve upon customer relations through response to the maintenance needs of the community grounds and facilities. Respond to community related emergencies and resolve issues. Contribute to sales team effort in order to build and maintain valued customer relationships.
Communication / Listening / Interpersonal Skills
Employee Communication: Answer questions, explain policies and procedures, share information and maintain open communication channels with employees and managers.
Conflict Management: Able to deal with conflict; confront negative behavior; encourage the expression of differing viewpoints; identify and discuss the issues underlying conflict; develop win-win solutions.
Organizational / Planning Skills
Planning and Organizing: Able to improve efficiency through planning and organizing; identify specific action steps and plans; anticipate problems and develop contingency plans.
Equipment/Property/ Building Maintenance: Determine work priorities, appropriate approach and technique to perform repairs, maintenance and installation of equipment. Provide property and building maintenance in order to ensure ongoing operations and timely completion of work as directed by management.
Equipment Safety/Preventative Maintenance: Follow operating instructions; troubleshoot breakdowns; maintain supplies; perform preventive maintenance and call for repairs in order to keep equipment operating safely and efficiently.
Inventory Control: Routinely perform a physical inventory of equipment and supplies in order to identify and inform management of equipment and supply needs.
Continuous Improvements: Identify defects, and propose improvements, in order to recognize and resolve problems early and take immediate action.
Manage Projects: Establish standards and measures, approve progress checks, provide specifications and plan and schedule changes in order to manage projects.
Problem Solving Skills
Self-Control: Able to maintain a composed problem solving approach when faced with unrealistic expectations, pressing time demands, frustration, or interpersonal conflict.
Decisiveness: Able to use available information to draw a timely conclusion and take quick action; make timely decisions in stressful situations; make quick, timely decisions when necessary.
Perseverance: Able to persevere in accomplishing tasks or objectives; commit to long hours of work; have a sense of urgency about getting results.
2-5 years experience in supervising employees, preferably in a similar industry. Ability to carry out supervisory responsibilities as directed by community management in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Must demonstrate good leadership capabilities and exceptional communication skills.
General Maintenance Experience:
Ability to perform and multi-task general maintenance duties with minimum supervision. Experience in plumbing, painting, landscaping/groundskeeping, maintaining equipment/vehicles and maintaining swimming pools/spas are all an asset. Bi-lingual a plus. Must be courteous, pleasant and cooperative with customers and co-workers and have the ability to adhere to company policies and procedures. The individual in the position must have a current, valid drivers license from the State where the community is located before driving a company-owned vehicle or before driving his/her own vehicle on company business.
High School Diploma or GED with additional technical training a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend the majority of time outdoors, which can mean exposure to extreme heat/cold and inclement weather.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus