Our client specializes in multi-family property management services for affordable housing assets principally owned and controlled by the company through its numerous affiliates.
Under the direction of the Director Property Operations and the Compliance Manager, the Compliance Specialist supports the Regional Property Managers and Community Managers with overall compliance monitoring of the communities. The monitoring will include oversight of continuous file reviews as well as the annual file audit process as well as, communications and coordination with Regional Property Managers, and community staff through all aspects of the file review process.
Roles & Responsibilities
This position’s responsibilities include:
• Demonstrates a comprehensive knowledge of affordable housing regulations and acts as a resource on regulatory compliance matters. Seeks relevant industry knowledge through various sources, including publications, webinars/seminars, conferences and research.
• Stays up-to-date with legislation, regulations and issues that may impact community management operations; disseminates relevant information, as appropriate to support teams.
• Applies IRS and HUD regulations for federal housing programs administered by Housing Finance Agencies and other program funding agencies for Leadership.
• Provides regulatory advice and interpretation in developing company policies, procedures and monitoring systems for affordable housing compliance.
• Assists in developing internal department controls and policies designed to check that all compliance requirements are met.
• Attends Affordable industry meetings and other regulatory agency meetings as required and appropriate.
• Daily monitoring to ensure that all tenant/community files are in good order by reviewing tenant certifications/re-certifications and all related paperwork.
• Ability to provide RealPage support and compliance training as needed.
• Travel to training sessions as applicable – less than 10%
Knowledge, Skill and Competency Requirements
Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience. In order to perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and competencies:
• Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills to interface professionally and sensitively, problem solving, decision-making, interpersonal and time management skills.
• Ability to handle shifting and multiple priorities in a fast paced, growth environment.
• Ability to work under pressure and successfully meet deadlines.
• Ability to represent the company to public officials and community groups.
• Knowledge of affordable housing regulations, including but not limited to HUD, Low Income Housing Tax Credits, Tax-Exempt/Revenue Bonds, SHIP, Housing Trusts, Public Housing Authorities, Rural Development and AHP.
• Thorough knowledge of regulatory agreements and ability to interpret those agreements.
• Ability to make decisions and judgment calls based on the information available.
• Minimum five years or more of recent experience in affordable housing with a minimum portfolio size of 5,000 units in multiple states with an emphasis on LIHTC program compliance experience.
• Experience working with IRS, Housing Finance Agencies, HUD and other funding agencies.
• Knowledge of applicable local and federal housing laws including Fair Housing and Landlord and Tenant laws required.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Must have excellent computer skills and have industry software experience. RealPage’s OneSite competency will be required following specific corporate training.
• An undergraduate degree in business or real estate with experience as a compliance professional in the rental housing industry, plus demonstrated knowledge in the implementation and maintenance of affordable compliance programs.
• Compliance designation such as the following:
o National Compliance Professional Executive (NCPE)
o Housing Credit Certified Professional (HCCP)
o Certified Credit Compliance Professional (C3P)
o National Affordable Housing Professional® Certification (NAHP®)
Must have a reliable vehicle to perform various tasks. Must have proof of liability insurance for same. Willingness and ability to utilize tablet/mobile devices and software efficiently. Must be able to complete all required training within thirty (30) days of hire date.
Bondable and Valid Driver’s License.